Hospital discharge and its impact on patient flow through hospitals in Wales
In Wales, the Health and Social Care Committee in the Senedd are considering how to improve patient flow through hospitals.
They are currently seeking evidence on:
- the scale of the current situation with delayed transfers of care from hospital.
- the impact of delays in hospital discharge, both on the individual and the patient flow through hospitals and service pressures.
- the variations in hospital discharge practices throughout Wales and cross-border, and how they are meeting the care and support needs of individuals.
- the main pressure points and barriers to discharging hospital patients with care and support needs, including social care services capacity.
- the support, help and advice that is in place for family and unpaid carers during the process.
- what has worked in Wales, and other parts of the UK, in supporting hospital discharge and improved patient flow, and identifying the common features.
- what is needed to enable people to return home at the right time, with the right care and support in place, including access to reablement services and consideration of housing needs.
Submissions by 7 January 2022.